Dec 12, 2018  
2017-2018 College Catalog 
2017-2018 College Catalog

Education Records

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Academic Policies and Procedures

Notification of Student Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Annually Mount Ida College notifies students of their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

1. With certain limited exceptions, the right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Mount Ida College receives a request for access. A student should submit such written request to the Registrar and specify the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The Office of the Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who seeks to amend a record should submit a request to the Registrar in writing and clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. The Registrar will notify the student in writing of its decision, and if the record will not be amended as requested, the Registrar will also notify the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to provide written consent before Mount Ida College discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

  • One such exception permits disclosure without a student’s prior written consent to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Mount Ida College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Mount Ida College who performs an institutional service or function for which the College would otherwise use its own employees (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent). A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Mount Ida College.
  • Another exception permits Mount Ida to disclose “directory information” without a student’s prior written consent. Directory Information includes:
  1. Student name;
  2. Home and local addresses;
  3. Home and local telephone numbers;
  4. E-mail addresses;
  5. Photograph;
  6. Major field of study;
  7. Grade level;
  8. Enrollment status;
  9. Dates of attendance;
  10. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports;
  11. Weight and height of members of athletic teams;
  12. Degrees;
  13. Honors and awards received;
  14. Most recent educational agency or institution attended; and
  15. Student ID number

Students may request that their directory information be withheld, and in such case, a student must notify the Office of the Registrar in writing. A student may notify the Registrar at any time, however, it will only be effective prospectively.

  • Upon request, Mount Ida College also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer.
  • Mount Ida College may also, without consent, disclose education records to parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21.
  • Information on other exceptions are available through the Office of the Registrar.

To the extent that a student wishes to authorize Mount Ida College to release grades or other information from the student’s education records to the student’s parent(s) or guardian, the student must sign a written consent form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. The consent form is available online or through the Office of the Registrar, and will remain in effect until the student revokes such consent in writing with the Office of the Registrar.

4. Students have a right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Mount Ida College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

Academic Transcripts

The official permanent academic record is the academic transcript, which reflects all courses attempted by a student, including courses from which a student has withdrawn and the grades in those courses. Transcripts contain only information about academic status and any interpretive data necessary for accurate evaluation of achievement.

Requests for transcripts are honored only with the knowledge and approval of the student. Other confidential records are made available only after consultation with the student, except under legal compulsion or in cases where the safety of persons or property is involved. The College reserves the right to withhold grade reports, transcripts, degrees, and references for students whose financial obligations to the College (including library fines and other small fines, fees and loans) have not been met and for students who are in default of their Stafford Loans (as determined by the guaranteeing agency of the student’s home state).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Academic Policies and Procedures