Professional Writing is a professional program with roots in the liberal arts tradition. Professional writing has a strong career orientation and facilitates the development of the skills that students need to be successful in the workplace. Successful careers in professional writing can be found in a diverse array of areas including publishing, business, science, government, journalism, law, and various non-profit entities. The curriculum is designed to develop rhetorical skills needed in a diverse array of professional fields.
Professional Writing Learning Objectives
In addition to the All College Curriculum skills and perspective, students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
* Demonstrate advanced-level abilities to communicate in written forms and implement appropriate communication across multiple modalities and to varied audiences;
* Apply marketable communication skills such as editing, writing for social media, and collaborative writing;
* Actualize practical business skills, including document design, online publishing, web development and multimedia delivery;
* Manage professional writing projects from inception to delivery.
* Execute effective communication in professional fields such as business, advertising, journalism, and media;
* Work effectively as a team member on complex writing projects involving multiple skills and resolution of difficulties;
* Exhibit real-world learning through internship experiences in professional writing;
* Produce an electronic portfolio of written work that can be used in a search for work as a professional writer or as a venue for publishing creative writing or obtaining a literary agent.