Dec 12, 2018  
2016-2017 College Catalog 
2016-2017 College Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Undergraduate Academic Policies and Procedures

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Enrollment Status: Full-Time, Part-Time


Students are considered full-time at 12 credits or more and part-time at 11 credits or fewer. Audited courses are not included in the total number of credits.

Course Overload Policy


A full-time Mount Ida College student may carry up to 18 credits per semester at the full-time tuition rate in all delivery systems of instruction. Students with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.00 or higher may take a one-course overload, with the approval from their advisor and from their Department Chair, prior to enrolling in the overload course.

With a few program-mandated exceptions, a full-time Mount Ida College student is defined as one scheduling between 12 and 18 credit hours per semester in any of the College’s schools.  Since credits for individual courses may vary from 1 to 6, the credit totals created by an overload course may show some variation.

Students who enroll in Mount Ida College’s summer session are limited to two courses (6 credits) in each session due to the intensity of a short-length session.

Note: A fee is charged for each overload credit in excess of 18. First semester freshmen and students enrolled in EN 004, EN 099,  EN 101, and/or MA 093, are not eligible for overload privileges.


Cancellation of/Changes in Academic Offerings


The College reserves the right to cancel any class, course, or section of a course for which the minimum number of students do not enroll. Further, Mount Ida College reserves the right to make such changes in course and program offerings as may be deemed necessary by the Administration and the Board of Trustees.


Class Attendance



It is Mount Ida College’s expectation that students attend class and that instructors organize and conduct their classes with this expectation in mind. At the beginning of each course, the instructor will distribute a written statement of his/her policies on absenteeism, attendance, warnings, requests for withdrawal, and make-up privileges. Excessive absence for any reason may lead either to failure or a low grade in a course.

Whether an absence is extended or of short duration, whatever the reason, students should contact their instructors promptly. Instructors appreciate learning of student absences before or during the absence, rather than after. To notify an instructor, students should refer to the instructor’s office hours and telephone extension or email address printed in the course syllabus distributed at the beginning of the semester.

It is the responsibility of the student to discuss his or her situation with the instructor should they anticipate exceeding the number of absences allowed by the instructor’s syllabus. At the instructor’s discretion, and based on the conditions written in the course syllabus, reasonable accommodations may be made.

Students who miss class because of scheduled College-approved curricular or co-curricular activities such as field trips, site visits or athletic contests or due to compelling factors beyond their control (i.e., illness, personal or family emergency, etc.) may, at the discretion of the instructor and within the parameters of the instructor’s syllabus, be provided an opportunity for make-up work. Certain assessments, however, are either not replicable or, in terms of administration, place an unreasonable burden on the instructor and hence may not be made up.


Class Meeting Cancellations


In the event that a class meeting is canceled, the instructor will notify the students as well as the administrative coordinator of the school who will post a notice on the classroom door.


Weather Related Closures

During closures of campus, college offices are closed, on-campus classes are canceled (students are expected to complete all assigned work and be in touch with faculty through means that have been communicated in the syllabus), and all college events are canceled including athletic events.  Additionally, the Shuttle Bus will not run.  Residence Halls and Dining Facilities will remain open, and specific essential personnel will be on campus to provide assistance.

If it becomes necessary to close campus, delay opening or close early, the College will utilize the following standard communication methods:

         Emergency Notification System (ENS). We encourage all members of the Mount Ida College community to log on to ENS and confirm their information is current and accurate.  Update by clicking on this LINK and using your Mount Ida College email and MiWeb password, you will be logged into the system.
         Announcements will also go out through the official Twitter and Facebook accounts and in MiWeb web portal.
         Changes and updates will be communicated on the Mount Ida College web page and Mount Ida Email.
         The following local media organizations will also be contacted to post closure and delay statuses:  WBZ (Ch. 4), WBZ Radio, WCVB (Ch. 5), WHDH (Ch. 7  and 56), WFXT (Ch. 25)

As most closures are weather-related, this is a reminder to all of those with vehicles that it will become necessary for vehicles to be moved during a snow event, and appropriate instructions and notifications will be sent.  Please have your car outfitted with proper weather related equipment such as scrapers and small shovels in the event that you have to clear off your car. Shovels are not available at Campus Police, Facilities or Residence Life.


Advanced Placement Credit Policies


Advanced Placement Program of the College Board

Mount Ida College supports the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board and will award the student up to 30 advanced placement (AP) credits for examinations completed with a score of 3 or higher, unless otherwise stipulated in the student’s program of study. Specific programs within the college may require scores of 4 or higher on the corresponding AP examination in subject areas appropriate to the student’s overall program of study. In keeping with the recommendations of the American Council on Education, Mount Ida College will base the number of semester hours of credit awarded on the scope and content of the equivalent AP course.

International Diploma Program of the International Baccalaureate Organization

Mount Ida College recognizes the academic challenge inherent in the successful completion of course work in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. If the student has completed the full International Baccalaureate Diploma with a total of 30 or more points, Mount Ida College will award the student up to 30 advanced placement credits as appropriate to the student’s overall program of study. If the student has not completed the full Diploma curriculum with a total of 30 or more points, Mount Ida College will award credit for individual Higher Level (HL) examinations completed with scores of 4 or higher, unless otherwise stipulated in the student’s program of study. Specific programs within the college may require scores of 5 or higher on the corresponding HL examination in subject areas appropriate to the student’s overall program of study. Course descriptions and syllabi for IB courses must be submitted for credits to be reviewed. In art and design subject areas, the student may also be required to submit a portfolio to support the awarding of advanced placement credits.

Note: Advanced placement credits awarded by Mount Ida College may be applied toward credits needed for graduation as appropriate to the student’s overall program of study. Students must have an official AP or IB transcript sent to Mount Ida College for advanced placement credits to be considered by the Office of the Registrar. Students who have completed both Advanced Placement (AP) examinations and Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations in similar subject areas will not receive credit for both. The maximum number of advanced placement credits that may be awarded is 30. 

Transfer Credit Policies and Procedures


Policies/Procedures for Applicants/New Students

The Office of the Registrar initially evaluates applications for transfer of credit earned at other institutions as part of the admissions process. Applicants for admission who plan to have credit considered for transfer must have official transcripts sent directly from the Office of the Registrar of every institution attended. Applicants should provide catalog descriptions of courses completed elsewhere to facilitate the transcript evaluation process. Applicants who have taken courses at more than one institution should note that transfer credit evaluations are done after official copies of all transcripts have been received.

Mount Ida College recognizes, for transfer credit, courses appropriate for the selected major taken at regionally accredited colleges or universities with a grade of C (2.00) or higher. The College is the sole judge of the courses it will accept in transfer towards requirements of its programs and degrees. Courses and credits only are transferable - not grades or honor points. As a general rule, the College will not accept transfer credit for courses completed more than seven years ago if such courses are central to the current knowledge and/or skills base of a program of study.

Note: Selected programs of study may have special policies regarding transfer credits. In a select few cases, the College accepts transfer credit from institutions that are accredited by a specialized accrediting association.

Policies/Procedures for Matriculated Students to Take Courses Elsewhere

Matriculated students may petition for approval to take courses at another accredited college or university when the College is not in session. Students may not enroll in courses concurrently at Mount Ida College and another institution. To petition for approval to take a course elsewhere, students complete a Petition to Pre-approve Potential Transfer Credits and attach a copy of the catalog description of the desired course work to the petition. Petitions are to be submitted in advance, with course registration to occur after receipt of written pre-approval. Approvals for coursework outside Mount Ida College, if granted, are typically limited to no more than two courses a year. A pre-approved petition form with the appropriate signatures must be on file in the Office of the Registrar for transfer credits to be considered for acceptance and application to Mount Ida College requirements.

Students who have credit deficiencies due to course failures, course withdrawals, and/or placement in developmental courses are strongly encouraged to resolve such deficiencies by taking appropriate courses at Mount Ida College, if courses are offered, or elsewhere during the summer. Students who are on academic probation as a result of credit deficiencies may petition for consideration to take more than two summer courses elsewhere, if needed, to earn the requisite number of credits to avoid academic dismissal.

If pre-approval for course work elsewhere is granted, the student is responsible for having an official transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar at Mount Ida College from the institution attended promptly after completing the course. Students may also hand carry the official transcript in a sealed envelope from the institution to Mount Ida College. Under no circumstances will the Office of the Registrar accept a hand-carried transcript that is not enclosed in a sealed envelope from the Office of the Registrar where the course was taken. Credits for pre-approved courses with grades of “C” (2.00) or higher are accepted in transfer.


Credit By Examination


Students may sit for nine (9) credits by examination. Students who successfully complete comprehensive examinations for certain approved courses will receive the credits as “credits by examination.” To receive credit, authorization must be secured from the appropriate School Dean and the Office of Academic Affairs prior to completion of any examination. The examination must be passed with a grade of “C” or higher on first attempt for credit to be received. Authorization may not be granted for the purpose of acquiring credit for a course previously completed or attempted for which a letter grade (including W or I) has been assigned at Mount Ida College or for the purpose of acquiring a letter grade with a quality point value affecting the cumulative grade point average for a course for which the College has previously granted transfer credit or life experience credit. Credit by examination may not be attained on a pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. Credit by examination may not be used to evade placement test results and requirements, nor may it substitute for the First-Year Seminar course (CC101).


  • The student obtains a Credit by Examination Request Form from the Office of the Registrar.
  • Using this form, the student requests a credit by examination for a particular course from a faculty member who teaches in the program or department offering the course and is willing to create and administer such an examination.
  • The faculty member agrees to create and administer the examination for the student. He/she signifies approval by signing the student’s form and submitting it to the appropriate School Dean.
  • The School Dean signifies approval for Credit by Examination by signing the form and forwarding it to the Office of the Registrar.  Prior to approval, the student must demonstrate that he/she has made complete payment to the Office of Student Financial Services. The fees charged for Credit by Examination are $300 per credit hour.
  • The student then presents the approved Credit by Examination Request Form to the instructor who will administer the examination.
  • Once the examination is completed and a grade determined, the instructor reports the earned grade in a timely manner to the Office of the Registrar who will record the grade on the student’s official transcript provided the requisite minimum grade for credit by examination (C or higher) is achieved.


Credit for Life Experience


There are two ways for students to earn Credit for Life Experience (CLEP):

(1) CLEP examinations completed in appropriate subject areas with the ACE (American Council on Education) recommended score are recognized by the College for Life Experience Credit. Matriculated students may petition for approval to take a CLEP examination by completing the Petition to Pre-approve Potential Transfer Credits, available from the Office of the Registrar and attaching a description of the desired CLEP examination to the petition. Petitions must be submitted in advance, with registration for the CLEP examination to occur after receipt of written approval.

(2) In selected cases and only with approval in advance from the Dean of the School, Mount Ida College also accepts applications, prepared and submitted as a formal paper, for life experience credit. Students may petition for approval to pursue this option by completing a Credit for Life Experience Request Form. The charge for Credit for Life Experience under this option is $300 per credit hour. Information about the College’s Credit for Life Experience Policy and the Credit for Life Experience Request Form may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar and the Office of the School Dean. Up to 16 life experience credits, inclusive of both the CLEP option and the formal application option, may be applied toward requirements of a degree program.

Note: Of credits received through the above methods (i.e., advanced placement credit, transfer credit, credit by examination, credit for life experience), only credits received as “credit by examination” are considered credits completed in residence.

Course Changes During Add/Drop Period


Changes to student course schedules are permitted during the Add/Drop period each semester. Adding or dropping a course is done online via MIWeb and requires faculty advisor approval. When seeking permission to add a course section that is closed to further enrollment, the section instructor’s signature is required for approval. When dropping a course or courses, students should ensure that they continue to carry appropriate credit levels (normally 12 or more credit hours) so as to maintain eligibility for financial aid, eligibility for participation in varsity athletics or club sports, residence hall status, and/or international student status.

Courses dropped during the Add/Drop period do not appear on the student’s transcript. No classes may be dropped or added after the last day of the Add/Drop period for each semester. In most cases, the date is one week after the opening of classes, and is listed on the official College Academic Calendar.

Note: Students will be charged for any class not officially dropped by the end of the Add/Drop period.

Course Withdrawals



As a general rule, students are expected to complete any course, required or elective, for which they register. Course withdrawals may have adverse effects on a student’s academic progress, eligibility for financial aid, eligibility for participation in varsity athletics or club sports, residence hall status, and/or international student status.

To withdraw from a course after the Add/Drop period ends, students must file an official Course Withdrawal Form. Prior to course withdrawal, a student must consult his/her academic advisor and the course instructor, as well as any other appropriate offices (e.g., Academic Affairs, Student Financial Services, Athletics, Residence Life, Center for Global Connections) to review the consequences of the intended action. Students may formally withdraw from a course through the end of the twelfth week of the semester. The Office of the Registrar will forward the student’s course withdrawal form to the course instructor, who will assign a grade of “W” (Withdrawal) if between end of Add/Drop and the end of the twelfth week. The grade of W is not averaged into the GPA and CGPA but the credits associated with the course will count as attempted credits. Students may not withdraw from a course after the twelfth week of the semester. (Note: The week of spring break is not included in the count of class weeks for the spring semester.) The closing date for course withdrawals for each semester is published in the Academic Calendar in the College Catalog.

Placement Test/Developmental Course Policies


Placements into English and math courses are determined by the student’s score on the SAT or ACT verbal and math exams. Transfer  students who have not successfully completed college-level English and/or math will be required to take a placement test. If the placement test results indicate a need for pre-college level coursework, students must enroll in EN 099 and/or MA 093, to prepare themselves for college-level English and math. Because EN 099 and MA 093 are not college-level, the credits earned in these courses do not count towards graduation and, therefore, may create a need for additional time for the student to complete degree requirements.

Final Examinations


Students who have more than two examinations scheduled on the same day of the College’s final examination period may request from their instructors to take the examinations on alternate days during the official final examination period to permit them the opportunity to take at a maximum only two examinations on any given day. Students must make such a request no later than three weeks prior to the official last class meeting of the semester for the course for which they are seeking an accommodation in the final examination period. The student may be invited by the instructor to sit for the examination with another of the instructor’s classes for this purpose; if that is not feasible, other mutually agreed upon arrangements may be made.


Program Requirements and Catalog Year


Students are responsible for all requirements of their degree program, based on the curriculum outline published in the Catalog for the year of entry and/or change into the program, as well as for any program-specific standards that may apply. Students who enter the College and/or change their program in 2016-2017 are subject to the requirements and policies for their program in this Catalog.

Curriculum Petition for Course Waiver or Substitution

Any exceptions to above general rule require the filing and approval of a Curriculum Petition to Waive or Substitute Program Requirements or Prerequisites. An approved petition requires the signature of the student’s faculty advisor, Department Chair, and School Dean. If a course waiver is approved, the student is still responsible for earning the credits associated with the waived requirement.

Students who wish to change their major or minor must petition for approval to do so. The petition process requires students to complete a Change of Major and/or Faculty Advisor form. Students complete the sections of the form that apply to them and sign and submit their petition to their current academic advisor and new Department Chair for approval. Once approved by both parties, the form is sent to the Office of the Registrar to be processed.

Students seeking a change of major must meet all entrance and/or academic progress standards for the desired new program of study. Students are responsible for the requirements and policies of the program that are published in the Catalog for the academic year that the program change is effective. As a general rule, as an NCAA Division III institution, Mount Ida College does not allow program changes that involve a change in an athlete’s degree level from baccalaureate to associate after the start of their first semester as an enrolled student.


Double Major Policy


Baccalaureate degree-seeking students may simultaneously complete two distinct majors with the approval of the appropriate Department Chairs, School Dean(s), and the Office for Academic Affairs. Students must complete the double major form prior to entering their junior year (i.e., prior to completing 61 academic credits). Students requesting a double major must be making satisfactory academic progress (with regard to cumulative credits earned) and have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75.

Students pursuing a double major must complete all specified All College Curriculum requirements and all specified major and related area requirements for both majors. Requirements that are common to both majors will be considered satisfied. Courses required for either major may not be used for a minor. If the two majors lead to two distinct degrees (B.A., B.S., and/or B.L.S.), students must, in addition, meet the residency requirement for each degree. At least 30 academic credits must be earned in residence to qualify for any one degree from the College.

Depending on the majors, more than four years (eight semesters) may be needed to complete all requirements. However, students must complete all requirements of both majors within six years (twelve semesters), which is the maximum time frame allowed for completion of a bachelor degree by the College’s satisfactory academic progress standard. Students should note the College’s course overload policy: students must have a CGPA of 3.00 or higher, the permission of their advisor and clearance from their School Dean(s) and the Office of Academic Affairs to carry a one-course overload in any given semester. Credits taken during the summer are not included in 12-semester time frame for completing a bachelor degree.


Internship Placement Policies



Mount Ida College offers internship courses as part of various programs. Descriptions of internship courses are included in the Course Descriptions section of this Catalog. Courses with titles that include such language as the following fall under the “internship” umbrella: Externship, Internship, Independent Practical Experience, Pre-Practicum, Practicum, Senior Professional Studies in Education Field Experience, Clinical Dental Hygiene II and III, Senior Clinical Rotation, and Embalming Laboratory.

Placement in an internship is not guaranteed, and in most cases it is the responsibility of the student to identify and apply for internship opportunities. As there is an increasing demand for internships for students enrolled in colleges and universities in the Boston area, it is recommended that students begin planning for their internships at least a semester in advance of the semester in which they intend to enroll in an internship course. The Career Services Center is available to assist students with resume and cover letter development, strategies for finding an internship, and brainstorming potential internship sites.

Once an internship is secured, students must present a Mount Ida College Internship Application/Learning Contract Form (available on MiWEB under Forms Central), to the Faculty Internship Supervisor and Department Chair for approval.

Note: At the present time, the following courses are exempt from the above requirement: DH 203, DH 204, FS 133, and SM 202. In these courses, placements are handled and/or monitored directly by the program. VT 301, VT 302, VT 401, VT 402, VT 403, VT 404, VT 405, and VT 406 are not exempt, but require only one form per semester to cover all rotations being taken during that semester.

Internships may require a specific minimum CGPA, the satisfaction of prerequisite courses, recommendations, background checks or other criteria (including, for example and without limitation, dress and comportment codes) as required by the internship site or the College. In all cases, internships that are completed for academic credit must be approved prior to a student’s beginning the internship. Students who do not follow this most basic step may not receive credit for the unofficial or volunteer experience.

Students unable to secure internship placements for any reason may have to plan for additional time to complete their degree. For information about guidelines, requirements, and specific offerings, students should consult their Department Chair or their School Dean. International students are also asked to inform the Director of the Center for Global Connections before pursuing an internship in order to confirm that the parameters of the internship are in line with visa regulations.


Education Records


Notification of Student Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Annually Mount Ida College notifies students of their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

1. With certain limited exceptions, the right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Mount Ida College receives a request for access. A student should submit such written request to the Registrar and specify the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The Office of the Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who seeks to amend a record should submit a request to the Registrar in writing and clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. The Registrar will notify the student in writing of its decision, and if the record will not be amended as requested, the Registrar will also notify the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to provide written consent before Mount Ida College discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

  • One such exception permits disclosure without a student’s prior written consent to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Mount Ida College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Mount Ida College who performs an institutional service or function for which the College would otherwise use its own employees (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent). A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Mount Ida College.
  • Another exception permits Mount Ida to disclose “directory information” without a student’s prior written consent. Directory Information includes:
  1. Student name;
  2. Home and local addresses;
  3. Home and local telephone numbers;
  4. E-mail addresses;
  5. Photograph;
  6. Major field of study;
  7. Grade level;
  8. Enrollment status;
  9. Dates of attendance;
  10. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports;
  11. Weight and height of members of athletic teams;
  12. Degrees;
  13. Honors and awards received;
  14. Most recent educational agency or institution attended; and
  15. Student ID number

Students may request that their directory information be withheld, and in such case, a student must notify the Office of the Registrar in writing. A student may notify the Registrar at any time, however, it will only be effective prospectively.

  • Upon request, Mount Ida College also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer.
  • Mount Ida College may also, without consent, disclose education records to parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21.
  • Information on other exceptions are available through the Office of the Registrar.

To the extent that a student wishes to authorize Mount Ida College to release grades or other information from the student’s education records to the student’s parent(s) or guardian, the student must sign a written consent form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. The consent form is available online or through the Office of the Registrar, and will remain in effect until the student revokes such consent in writing with the Office of the Registrar.

4. Students have a right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Mount Ida College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

Academic Transcripts

The official permanent academic record is the academic transcript, which reflects all courses attempted by a student, including courses from which a student has withdrawn and the grades in those courses. Transcripts contain only information about academic status and any interpretive data necessary for accurate evaluation of achievement.

Requests for transcripts are honored only with the knowledge and approval of the student. Other confidential records are made available only after consultation with the student, except under legal compulsion or in cases where the safety of persons or property is involved. The College reserves the right to withhold grade reports, transcripts, degrees, and references for students whose financial obligations to the College (including library fines and other small fines, fees and loans) have not been met and for students who are in default of their Stafford Loans (as determined by the guaranteeing agency of the student’s home state).




Grading System

The College grading system evaluates student work by letter grades for which the following quality point values have been established:

Letter Grade At Least Below Quality Point Value Status
A 93   4.00 Excellent
A- 90 93 3.67  
B+ 87 90 3.33  
B 83 87 3.00 Good
B- 80 83 2.67  
C+ 77 80 2.33  
C 73 77 2.00 Average
C- 70 73 1.67  
D+ 67 70 1.33  
D 63 67 1.00 Poor
D- 60 63 0.67  
F   60 0.00 Failing
CS       Continuing Studies
I       Incomplete
I/F     0.00 Incomplete/Fail


Letter Grade Interpretations

The interpretations below have been established by vote of the faculty. Unless otherwise noted, instructors give letter grades. All grades submitted at the end of a course are final and can be changed only by the instructor’s submission of an official Grade Change Form to the Office of the Registrar and the written approval of the Provost and Chief Academic Officer.



Audit. Identifies course in which student wishes only the opportunity to attend class sessions. Generally, such students do not actively participate in class work (either written or oral), but audited courses are recorded on official records. Students in good standing may audit a course an additional cost. Courses taken on an audit basis are not included in the student’s credit load for financial aid purposes.

CS   Continuing Studies. A grade of CS may be awarded for a limited number of courses which, by their nature, may take more than one semester to complete. Assignation of a CS grade in any other course requires the written pre-approval of the instructor and the School Dean at the beginning of the semester. Any CS grade that has not been converted to a regular credit-bearing letter grade by the end of the semester (excluding the summer) following the semester of initial enrollment will be reviewed by the School Dean to determine an appropriate deadline for conversion. If not converted by the deadline, the CS will be changed to an F. The CS grade is not used in calculating grade point average or in determining probation or dismissal. A student who receives this grade at the end of a semester may become retroactively eligible for Dean’s List honors when the course work is completed and a final grade is submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Incomplete. A temporary grade given at the instructor’s discretion when course work has not been completed at the close of the semester and the student has a compelling reason for not completing the work (i.e. medical emergency, death in family, etc.). An Incomplete should not be awarded simply because a student has not performed well or has not submitted assignments or taken examinations as required by the course syllabus. The make-up date for each ”I” (Incomplete) received is the mid-point of the following semester. Failure to make up Incomplete grades on or before the established date results in the automatic conversion of the grade of ”I” to a permanent grade of ”I/F.” Incomplete grades are not indicators of Satisfactory Academic Progress and an Incomplete grade renders a student ineligible for semester honors.

A grade of Incomplete in a prerequisite course does not permit a student to enroll in the higher level course. A student with an Incomplete in EN 101, for example, may not take EN 102 even if he or she registered for the course prior to receiving the Incomplete. Prerequisites are satisfied only when the appropriate credit-bearing grade has been assigned. A student who registers for a course with a prerequisite must actually complete the prerequisite in order to remain on the class roster.

Further, a grade of Incomplete will be recorded only if an Incomplete Grade Contract (indicating how and when the outstanding work is to be completed) is submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the term. The contract will be completed by the instructor in consultation with the student and should bear the signatures of both. In cases where the student is not available, the instructor’s signature will suffice.

Students will not receive a grade of “I” if they owe more than three weeks work at the end of the semester or if they are unable to attend class for more than three weeks at the end of the semester. Students who owe more than three weeks at the end of the semester or who miss class for more than three weeks at the end of the semester and do not officially withdraw from the course will receive the grade (excluding “I”) the instructor deems appropriate (with the exception of W). It is in the interest of the student to remove an Incomplete from his or her record at the earliest possible date.

W   Withdrawal. Normally assigned when a student officially withdraws from a course between the end of the Add/Drop period and the end of the twelfth week of the semester. (See Course Withdrawals.)

Note: Course Withdrawals are not indicators of Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students may not withdraw from a course after the twelfth week of the semester.

Grade Point Values

At the close of each semester, a student’s quality point average is indicated on the grade report. To compute a “GPA,” the credit value of each course is multiplied by the grade value. These results are added and divided by the number of credits for which the student is registered. Grades of P, W, AU, CS, and I do not affect the GPA. Advanced placement credits, transfer credits (T) and Life Experience credits (L) also do not affect the GPA.

Mid-Semester Grades

Mid-semester grades are issued to all students for all classes at the mid-point of the fall and spring semesters. The mid-semester grades do not appear on the transcript. However, students may view their mid-semester grades in MIWeb.

Course Retakes

Required courses in which a failure grade is earned (or in which a grade necessary for progression in a program has not been obtained) may be made up by repeating the course successfully. The original grade will remain on the student’s record, but if the course is repeated at Mount Ida College, it will be replaced by the new grade for purposes of calculating the CGPA. Students thus have the opportunity to raise their CGPA by retaking courses at Mount Ida College in which low or failing grades have been initially earned. If approval to repeat a failed course at another institution is granted, the CGPA is not affected as the College accepts credits, but not grades, in transfer.

Students will be allowed to repeat a course they have failed until they pass it. Students may attempt to raise their grade in a course they have already passed by repeating the course one time only. Exceptions must be petitioned through the Office of Academic Affairs.

Note: “Retakes” are not exempt from tuition charges.

Change of Grade

Final course grades (excluding Incompletes) may not be changed after they have been submitted to the Office of the Registrar unless an authentic and demonstrable miscalculation is discovered. An instructor may not allow extra-credit work or examination re-take opportunities after course work has been completed and final grades have been submitted and posted. Grade changes must be filed on an official Grade Change Form and must be submitted no later than the mid-point of the semester following that in which the course was taken. Grades may not be changed for any course taken more than one semester prior to the term in progress.

Minimum Grade Standard for Program-specific Courses in Major or Minor

Some programs require a minimum standard for grade for program-specific required courses as well as required courses within the major or minor.  Please refer to the degree program details or the Academic Plan.


Verification of Student Identity

To comply with the United States Federal Higher Education Opportunity Act, Public Law 110-315, all faculty and administration at Mount Ida College must verify that the student registering for a course is the same student participating in all activity related to earning credit in the course.

Mount Ida College uses a learning management system for online and hybrid courses and students are assigned a unique student identification number.  Students must use designated usernames and student-generated pass codes to participate in online, hybrid, and/or web-enhanced courses. 

Students must provide complete and accurate information in all interactions with the College.  Within each online and hybrid course, students must read and agree to the College’s Code of Academic Honesty, which outlines consequences of violations of the Code.

The small student-faculty ratio contributes to the faculty’s ability to become familiar with students and the manner in which they participate in their studies, further ensuring academic honesty.  Faculty members engage students in pedagogically sound instruction including rich discussions and a variety of assessment techniques.  Faculty of online and hybrid courses work closely with instructional technology specialists to develop and implement these methods, which support academic integrity.


Code of Academic Honesty Policy 



Mount Ida College views the principle of academic integrity as a fundamental institutional value and the responsibility of the entire campus community to uphold. Students are expected to meet the College’s high academic standards through honest endeavor; therefore, academic dishonesty in any form is not tolerated. While collaboration with other students is encouraged in various class settings, course work submitted for evaluation must be their own unless otherwise specified by their instructor.

Students are in violation of the Code of Academic Honesty if they engage in cheating, plagiarism, falsification, fabrication, or other forms of academic dishonesty. Violations of the Code of Academic Honesty include, but are not limited to:

  •  Cheating: Using or sharing information, materials, sources, instruments, or electronic devices without authorization when working on an exam, assignment, or other assessment; looking at another’s examination or allowing another to look at one’s own examination; receiving or providing unauthorized assistance on an exam, assignment or assessment; completing an examination in a course and discussing that examination with another who has yet to take the exam; enlisting, or being enlisted by, someone else to take an exam, write a paper, or complete an assignment.
  •  Plagiarism: Using another’s words, ideas, or work as one’s own by failing to credit the source(s) of those words, ideas, or work.
  •  Falsification and Fabrication: Falsifying or fabricating data, information, facts, sources, etc. in a written report, oral presentation, project, or other work.
  •  Dishonesty: Making false statements or falsifying information regarding the reasons for missing an examination or for not submitting an assignment in order to gain a more favorable evaluation of the examination or assignment.
  •  Collusion in Academic Dishonesty: Assisting another in an act of academic dishonesty.
  •  Misrepresentation: Submitting a substantial portion of the same paper or other assignment for evaluation in more than one course without authorization from each course instructor.


First-time offenders found in violation of the Code of Academic Honesty will be disciplined at the discretion of the instructor for course related violations. Students can receive a reduced grade or failing grade on the assignment, project or examination, or a reduced grade or grade of ‘F’ in the course. All violations of the Code of Academic Honesty are reported to the School Dean affiliated with the student’s academic program. If the student has not declared a major, then the violation is reported to the School Dean affiliated with the course in which the violation occurred. All violations are subsequently forwarded to the Office of Academic Affairs which maintains a record of all infractions. Students who violate the Code of Academic Honesty on more than one occasion will be required to appear before the Academic Integrity Review Board and may be suspended or dismissed from the College.


Violations of the Code of Academic Honesty which are not related to a specific course are adjudicated by the Academic Integrity Review Board, and include, but are not limited to:


  •  Obstructing an Investigation: Making false statements or misrepresenting the facts during an investigation into a violation of the Code of Academic Honesty; failing to cooperate with an investigation into a violation of the Code of Academic Honesty.
  •  Interference in the Academic Pursuits of Others: Preventing others from accessing academic resources by removing, hiding, damaging, destroying, or making inaccessible those resources in an effort to enhance one’s own academic standing or position, or adversely affect the academic standing or position of another.
  •  Academic Record Misrepresentation: Altering, falsifying, or misrepresenting one’s academic achievements and record.


Members of the College community should report violations of this nature to the Office of Academic Affairs (#202) in Holbrook Hall for review by the Academic Integrity Review Board. Sanctions for these sorts of violations include probation, suspension, or dismissal from the college. The decision of the Academic Integrity Review Board is final.


Level I Appeal Process

The student has the right to appeal the disciplinary action associated with a course level violation of the Code of Academic Honesty within 10 days of being notified of the action. The appeal must be submitted by the student in writing using the Code of Academic Honesty Violation - Level I Appeal form. The written appeal must be submitted to the student’s School Dean prior to 4:30 p.m. of the last day for an appeal; otherwise, the instructor’s decision is final. A student not enrolled in a specific academic program submits the written appeal to the School Dean associated with the course in which the violation is reported to have occurred. The student’s School Dean and Department Chair will review the appeal and render a decision within 10 days of its filing. A Code of Academic Honesty Violation - Level I Appeal form can be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs (#202) in Holbrook Hall.


Level II Appeal Process

The student has the right to appeal the School Dean’s decision associated with a course level violation of the Code of Academic Honesty to the Academic Integrity Review Board within 10 days of being notified of the decision. The Level II appeal must be submitted by the student in writing using the Code of Academic Honesty Violation - Level II Appeal form. The Level II appeal must be submitted to the Provost’s Office (#202) prior to 4:30 p.m. of the last day for an appeal; otherwise, the School Dean’s decision related to the Level I appeal is final. A Code of Academic Honesty Violation - Level II Appeal form can be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs (#202) in Holbrook Hall. The Academic Integrity Review Board’s decision regarding the Level II appeal will be rendered within 30 days of its filing. The decision of the Academic Integrity Review Board is final.

*This policy was adapted with permission from Mount Aloysius College.

Procedure for Student Grievance Against A Faculty Member


Definition of a Grievable Issue

A student may initiate a grievance against a faculty member when he or she has a complaint regarding a grade, academic performance, or educational environment and there is no College policy that contains its own process for resolution. Examples of complaints excluded from this grievance process include, but are not limited to academic dishonesty, sexual harassment, or other forms of discrimination or harassment.

The student must adhere to the processes listed below. It is recommended, but not required, that the student attempt to resolve a complaint by conferring with the faculty member and the faculty member’s Dean.


Step 1: Informal Resolution

The student should attempt to resolve a complaint by conferring with the faculty member within ten business days of the incident being grieved.

If the matter is not resolved, the student may request, within ten business days of the initial attempt to resolve the complaint, a meeting with the faculty member’s Dean. The Dean will document the date of the student’s request and will, within ten business days, investigate and attempt to resolve the complaint. The Dean will provide a written response to the student and to the faculty member.

If the student grievance is against a Dean, the student should directly proceed to Step 2:  Formal Grievance Process.


Step 2: Formal Grievance Process

If the student is not satisfied with the resolutions suggested in Step 1, he/she may submit a written statement to the Provost within seven business days of the Dean’s written response provided in Step 1. The statement should summarize the complaint, the steps taken and the outcomes of Step 1 as well as an explanation of the reasons why the resolution was not satisfactory. The student should provide a copy of the original written complaint, if there is one, and all written responses.

The Provost will review the complaint and meet with the student and faculty member within seven business days of receipt of the student’s written statement. The Provost will act as an impartial third party, review the complaint in an objective manner and attempt to mediate the dispute. The Provost will hear both sides of the dispute and make a recommendation as to the resolution of the complaint in light of all the relevant facts and their relation to College policy. The Provost will provide a written decision to both parties within ten business days of the meeting.


Step 3: Appeal Process

If the student or faculty member is not satisfied with the resolution offered by the Provost, he/she may direct an appeal to the Director of Human Resources, which will include an explanation of the reasons for the appeal. The appeal must be in writing and submitted within seven business days of receipt of the written decision by the Provost.

Within ten business days the Director of Human Resources will present a written decision accompanied by recommendations to the student, the faculty member, the Dean and the Provost.


Time Limits

The College may, in its discretion, modify or waive time limits.

Satisfactory Academic Progress



Good Academic Standing: Students are in good academic standing when they have earned the minimum cumulative grade point average and completed the minimum number of total credits for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as given in Chart 1 below.

Academic Probation: At the end of each semester, students who have not met the standard for both minimum CGPA and minimum credits earned are placed on Academic Probation. During the probationary semester, students continue to take classes at Mount Ida with the goal of returning to Good Academic Standing. Students on probation are not eligible to participate in NCAA athletics.

Academic Suspension: Students on probation who fail to return to Good Academic Standing at the end of their probationary semester are academically suspended for a minimum of one semester. Any student who earns 0.0 credits at the conclusion of any semester can be suspended. Suspended students may not take classes at Mount Ida during the period of their suspension, nor may they live on campus. At the end of the semester, students may complete a Request for Reactivation form to return to the College. If allowed, the student returns to Mount Ida College on probation, with an academic progression plan that outlines the conditions of the return. Students who are placed on probation, return to good standing, and are subsequently placed on probation following any other semester may be suspended.

Academic Dismissal: Students who have been suspended more than once may be academically dismissed from the College for a period of at least one year. At the end of the year, students may complete a Request for Reactivation form to return to the College. If allowed, the student returns to Mount Ida College on probation, with an academic progression plan that outlines the conditions of the return.

Time Frames for Degree Completion

Mount Ida College expects students to make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree. Federal regulations also mandate that students make satisfactory academic progress in their program of study to receive financial aid. For full-time students pursuing a bachelor’s degree, the maximum time frame for completion may not exceed 150% of the length of the program; that is, six years or 180 attempted credits to earn the 120 completed credits required for the degree. Students who wish to graduate in four years need to earn an average of 30 credits per year, not including credits for developmental courses.

  • In determining satisfactory academic progress, the College includes all transfer credits accepted for course work completed prior to admission.
  • Students with documented disabilities whose CGPA is in line with the College’s standard are allowed up to one additional year to complete their degree, with the exact amount of time determined at a rate proportionate to the number of course reductions taken.
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) students who have a CGPA that is in line with the College’s standard are allowed up to one additional year to complete their degree, with the exact amount of time determined at a rate proportionate to the number of hours of required ESL course work. Credits earned in ESL courses do not count toward graduation.

Course Withdrawals, Incompletes, Retakes and Effect on Academic Progress


Course withdrawals (W’s) adversely affect a student’s progress because they count as “credit hours attempted” and remain on the student’s academic record. If a student fails to complete the work required to resolve an incomplete (I), the student is assigned an I/F which also remains on the student’s academic record and will adversely affect academic progress.  Students who repeat a course at Mount Ida College do not earn additional credits for the course, but would improve their CGPA by earning a higher grade. Courses repeated at other institutions may be transferred for credit under certain circumstances, but would not affect a student’s CGPA.


Academic Progress Review

The Office of Academic Affairs conducts a review of the academic record of each student when grades are released at the end of each semester to determine whether the student is making satisfactory academic progress in terms of cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and cumulative credits earned toward her/his degree. Ordinarily, students who are not meeting the College’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard are placed on Academic Probation. These students are notified in writing by the Office of Academic Affairs of their academic status, the conditions associated with that status, and the consequences of non-improvement.

Students who have been placed on Academic Probation and who do not meet the conditions of their probationary semester are subject to Academic Suspension from the College for a minimum of one semester. Students who have been suspended more than once may be subject to Academic Dismissal.

Note: Students must be academically eligible to continue their studies at Mount Ida College to be eligible for financial aid.

Academic Progression Plan

Students who are placed on Academic Probation are required to sign an Academic Progression Plan, which outlines the steps they are expected to take as a student on Probation to facilitate their academic success including, but not limited to, the following:

  • immediately repeating courses with failure grades at the College,
  • immediately resolving Incompletes,
  • using academic support services on a regular basis, and
  • enrolling in summer courses to resolve credit deficiencies.

The class schedules of pre-registered students who are placed on Academic Probation are subject to adjustment, if indicated, to meet the conditions of their respective Academic Progression Plans.

Satisfactory Academic Progress by Degree Level and Semesters Completed

To be recognized as making satisfactory academic progress towards a degree for both College and Student Financial Aid purposes, all students must achieve the minimum CGPA and all full-time students must, in addition, accumulate the minimum number of earned credits indicated in Chart 1 below for each semester of enrollment and for each degree category or type.

Full-time students are expected to accumulate credits at a minimum rate of 10 per semester.

The number to be accumulated by students who are part-time is pro-rated and is equal to the number of credits attempted. With respect to transfer students, the number of transfer credits accepted for course work completed prior to admission is included among the credits completed by a student to date, and the expected minimum CGPA and timetable for degree completion are adjusted accordingly.

Note: Selected programs of study offered by the College have program-specific policies for continuation and/or progression in the curriculum, which apply to students enrolled in that program. Information regarding academic progression policies specific to a particular program can be found on the page(s) in the Degree Programs/Majors section of this Catalog for that degree program.

Chart 1: Minimum CGPA/Credits Accumulated Per Semester

After Semester   Bachelor
One   2.00/10   2.00/10     2.00/10    
Two   2.00/20   2.00/20     2.00/20    
Three   2.00/30   2.00/30     2.00/30    
Four   2.00/40   2.00/40     2.00/40    
Five   2.00/50   2.00/50     2.00/50    
Six   2.00/60   2.00/*     2.00/60    
Seven   2.00/70         2.00/70    
Eight   2.00/80         2.00/80    
Nine   2.00/90         2.00/*    
Twelve   2.00/*              

* must fulfill degree requirements

Procedure for Appeal of Academic Probation or Academic Dismissal Actions

Students who believe they have legitimate and compelling reasons for not maintaining satisfactory progress in any given semester may submit a written appeal of probation, suspension or dismissal decisions to the Academic Progression Committee for consideration. Appeal petitions are submitted to students placed on suspension or dismissal with instructions for completion.

Petition for Possible Reinstatement after Academic Suspension or Dismissal

Students suspended or dismissed from the College due to unsatisfactory academic progress may submit a reinstatement petition to the Office of the Registrar after the required semester or year of separation from the College. If the statement of readiness presented in the petition and supporting documentation (which must include the results of course work completed successfully elsewhere in the interim) appears to the Committee to constitute sufficient evidence that the student is prepared to resume his/her studies with a reasonable expectation of success, the student will be reinstated on the condition that he/she will complete all course work undertaken from that point on. If reinstated, the student will be held accountable for the requirements and policies of the program and of the College that are in effect at the time of reinstatement.


All-College Curriculum, English, Mathematics and First-Year Seminar Course Completion Policy

Students are expected to begin taking the All-College Curriculum, English, mathematics, and First-Year Seminar courses in their first semester and continue taking them until they have satisfied the required sequence, unless otherwise specified by their academic program.


Dean’s List and Honors


Outstanding academic achievement is recognized at the close of each fall and spring semester by announcement of the Dean’s List: Highest Honors indicates a grade point average of 3.80 or higher, High Honors an average between 3.67 and 3.79, and Honors an average between 3.33 and 3.66. Students must have earned at least 12 college-level credits in any given semester to qualify for the Dean’s List. An Incomplete on the record disqualifies a student from Dean’s List status for the semester the ”I” grade was given. Dean’s List status and Honors cannot be awarded retroactively.

Honor Scholars Program (HSP)

The Mount Ida College Honor Scholars Program seeks to engage and challenge academically accomplished and motivated students through Honor experiences that include independent research and/or creative projects, one-on-one mentoring relationships with faculty, special co-curricular activities, and compilation of an Honor ePortfolio that preserves all Honor work. Students selected as Honor Scholars become members of an intellectual community that offers enriched academic and leadership development opportunities.

Honor Scholars receive a special designation on their transcript and recognition at graduation, and may also be eligible for Latin honors and society memberships, depending on specific requirements.

Honor Scholars must enroll in and complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.50 every semester, with one semester of probation allowed. To graduate as an Honor Scholar, students must complete at least two honor contracts and present at least one contract at the HSP spring reception. All contracts must be described in detail in an Honor Contract Proposal, which is developed by the student and supervising faculty member, and reviewed and approved by the Honor Scholars Program Director.

Honor Societies: Eligibility Requirements

Alpha Chi: Alpha Chi is a coeducational society whose purpose is to promote academic excellence and exemplary character among college and university students and to honor those who achieve such distinction. Membership in Alpha Chi is open to bachelor  degree-seeking students who have completed all freshman and sophomore course work required by their program of study with a CGPA of 3.50 or above upon entry to the junior year. Students entering the junior year with all freshman and sophomore requirements completed with a CGPA of less than 3.50 are eligible for membership after one semester in residence if they earn a CGPA of 3.50 or higher in no fewer than four 3- or 4-credit courses. Students transferring with junior standing from another institution become eligible for membership by earning a minimum CGPA of 3.50 after 24 credits taken in residence.

Phi Beta Delta: Phi Beta Delta is the first national honor society dedicated to recognizing scholarly achievement in international education. The goals of the society are to recognize the scholarly achievement of international students and scholars, U.S. students who have studied abroad and faculty and staff who are involved in international activities; to serve as a vehicle for the development of academic-based international programming; to provide a network on each campus of faculty, staff and students involved in international endeavors; and to extend this network to thousands of members in chapters across the country and throughout the world.  Membership is open to international students in the United States on non-immigrant visas and to students who have participated in a Mount Ida College study abroad or international exchange program and are juniors or seniors. New members must have a CGPA of 3.30 or higher. Membership is also open to faculty and staff who have participated in international endeavors.

Phi Theta Kappa: Phi Theta Kappa is the largest honor society in American higher education. The purpose of the Society is to recognize and encourage scholarship among students in associate degree programs. Membership is open to freshmen and sophomores who have completed twelve credit hours at Mount Ida College with a 3.50 CGPA. To retain membership, students must maintain a CGPA of no less than 3.00. Students falling below the maintenance standard of 3.00 for a given semester must earn a 3.50 in the following semester or their membership will be revoked.

Pi Sigma Eta: The objective of Pi Sigma Eta is to promote fellowship and individual and collective efforts toward a better understanding of the funeral service profession. To be eligible, a student must have been enrolled as a funeral service major for at least one semester and have achieved a 3.00 grade point average.

Sigma Beta Delta:  Sigma Beta Delta was established to encourage and recognize scholarship and accomplishment among students of business, management and administration and to encourage and promote aspirations toward personal and professional improvement and a life distinguished by honorable service to humankind. Sigma Beta Delta has installed over 400 chapters in 47 states and internationally, with over 80,000 members. Membership is limited to the top 20 percent of juniors, seniors and graduate students enrolled in business majors.

Sigma Phi Alpha: Sigma Phi Alpha is the national honor society of the dental hygiene profession. Membership of Sigma Phi Alpha includes elected dental hygiene educators and graduates of accredited dental hygiene programs with high scholastic achievement. The purpose of Sigma Phi Alpha is to promote, recognize, and honor scholarship, leadership, and service among dental hygiene students and graduates of dental hygiene programs. Membership in the society is limited to the top 10 percent of the senior class. Selection is based on scholarship, service, leadership and exhibition of potential qualities for future growth.



Graduation Policies and Procedures


Application for Graduation

Mount Ida College has three graduation dates each year in September, January, and May respectively. A formal Commencement ceremony is conducted once each year in May. All eligible students are required to file an application for graduation with the Office of the Registrar according to the following deadlines:

  • May graduation - filing deadline: March 1
  • September graduation - filing deadline: July 1
  • January graduation - filing deadline: December 1

With respect to the May graduation date, students who are eligible to apply are those (1) who are within two courses of completing all requirements for their degree at the end of the spring semester and (2) who have a CGPA of at least 2.00. Students who are within two courses of completing their degree and have a CGPA of 2.00 or higher may attend graduation and participate in the ceremonies, though they will not actually graduate until their requirements are complete, at which time they must reapply for the next graduation date. Students in this category are not eligible for honors until all requirements for the degree are completed. They must complete their remaining courses no later than the end of the following semester. With respect to the September and January graduation dates, eligible students are those who have completed all requirements for their degree with a CGPA of at least 2.00 prior to the date of graduation.

Steps Involved in Clearance for Graduation

At the beginning of the fall semester, students expecting to graduate in May should meet with their academic advisor to review their academic plan. This will allow for course selection planning and/or class schedule adjustments, as appropriate, to ensure that requirements for the degree are met.

In May, after spring semester grades have been posted, the Office of the Registrar conducts a final review of potential graduates to determine if all degree requirements have been met. Students who withdraw from, fail, and/or have Incomplete grades in required spring semester classes such that they are no longer within two courses of completing their degree and/or no longer have a CGPA of 2.00 or higher after spring grades are processed do not meet the eligibility requirements for filing an application for graduation and are not eligible to participate in the Commencement ceremony.

Students may not participate in more than one Commencement ceremony for any one degree.

Requirements for Graduation

Students who have satisfied all program of study requirements and all degree level and residency requirements and who have met all financial obligations of the College are candidates for graduation at Commencement. Attending the graduation ceremony does not ensure that students have met the requirements and graduated from Mount Ida College.

  • Bachelor degree candidates: The degree of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Liberal Studies or Bachelor of Science is awarded to those candidates who have met all requirements of their program with a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher. As a general rule, a minimum of 120-122 college-level credits is required for a bachelor degree. Most baccalaureate programs at Mount Ida College require 120. Some programs require more than 120 credits.
  • Associate degree candidates: The degree of Associate in Arts or Associate in Science is awarded to those candidates who have met all requirements of their program with a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher. A minimum of 60-62 college-level credits is required for an associate degree. Most associate degree programs at Mount Ida College require 62; some programs require more than 62 credits.
  • Residency Requirements: All degree candidates must earn at least 30 credits in academic courses at Mount Ida College to qualify for any one degree from the College - i.e., B.A., B.L.S., B.S., A.A. or A.S. It is the student’s responsibility to make certain that all academic requirements are met not only for progression to sophomore, junior, or senior status, but also for eligibility for graduation.
    Waiver of Residency Requirement: Students may request a waiver to the requirement for 30 credits in residence through the Office of Academic Affairs. Waivers will be considered on a case-by-case basis in conjunction with the appropriate School Dean or Department Chair. Students must in all cases complete at least 25% of their academic credits at Mount Ida College, including the majority of the intermediate and advanced coursework in the student’s academic program.

Note: Developmental courses, physical education/recreational activity electives, and other special interest courses do not count towards the academic credits required for graduation.

Graduation Honors

Students who graduate from associate or bachelor degree programs with high cumulative grade point averages are awarded honors as follows:

  • Summa cum Laude
  • Magna cum Laude
  • Cum Laude

3.80 - 4.00
3.67 - 3.79
3.33 - 3.66

Students are not eligible for graduation honors until they have completed all academic requirements for their degree. Graduation honors are based on the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) over the student’s entire academic career at Mount Ida College. Thus, for students who complete an associate degree at the College and then continue for a bachelor degree, graduation honors for the baccalaureate degree are based on the comprehensive CGPA inclusive of grades earned in course work for both degrees.


College Withdrawal/Reactivation



College Withdrawal

When a student wishes to withdraw from the College permanently or temporarily, he or she must contact the Office of the Registrar to begin the withdrawal process. Before completing the withdrawal form and leaving the College, it is expected that the student obtains a clear understanding of his or her official withdrawal date (from the Office of the Registrar), financial obligations (from the Office of Student Financial Services) and financial aid status (from the Financial Aid and/or Loan Office).

Resident students should seek resolution regarding precise day of departure from campus, removal of belongings from room, and return of room keys. The College will assign a grade of W to students who leave Mount Ida while the semester is in progress.

For College charges refund information, see the “Withdrawal Adjustment Schedule” in this Catalog.

Request for Reactivation

Students withdrawing or absent from the College for one year or less (one or two semesters) must complete a Request for Reactivation Form and obtain the necessary approvals before resuming active status. If reactivation is granted, students returning to the same major, as a general rule, continue under the requirements of their original program. Students who are absent from the College for more than one year (i.e., three or more semesters) and are academically eligible to return must reapply through the Admissions Office.  Students are subject to program requirements and academic policies in effect for the academic year in which studies are resumed.


Impact of Judicial Probation or Suspension Upon Academic Activities


Students may be found responsible for violations of College policy or local, state and federal laws and be issued a sanction for these violations. In cases where the violation results in the assignment of College probation or suspension, this may trigger a review of the student’s continued eligibility for college internships or other academic-related activities where she/he is representing the college or engaging with the public or specific populations. In such cases, the Provost and Chief Academic Officer will be notified by the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee of the violation and resultant sanctions. The Provost and Chief Academic Officer will share this information with the School Dean and/or Department Chair and may request additional documentation of the violation, including but not limited to incident reports  and witness statements. Academic Affairs will then make the determination as to whether the student may represent the college in the academic activity.

In addition, when a student is placed on Interim Suspension (see explanation below), the student may not engage in academic work off-campus during the suspension period. The Dean of the school is notified when a student is placed on interim suspension and will inform the student’s faculty and department chair of the suspension.


 Interim Suspension


The College reserves the right to immediately suspend any student representing a threat to life or safety, or disruption of the College community or any one or more of its members. The Vice President for Student Affairs or designee will determine when such action will be taken. A hearing will be accorded said student as soon as is reasonable possible following such a summary suspension.   

Students placed on interim suspension are issued Notice Against Trespass prohibiting them from entering the campus during the suspension period without authorization from the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee. The Vice President for Student Affairs or designee reserves the right to modify the terms of interim suspension. Make-up of academic work missed during a temporary suspension is at the discretion of the instructor after the Notice Against Trespass is removed. The Vice President for Student Affairs notifies the Dean of the school, the Registrar and the Director of Financial Services when a student is placed on interim suspension; the Dean of the school notifies the appropriate faculty.


Non-Academic Suspension

Students who have been suspended from the College are liable for all fees and charges for the semester in which the suspension occurs, and are withdrawn from their courses and may not complete them. Students suspended from the College may not attend classes nor visit the campus for any reason during the suspension period, nor may they visit in the residence halls. Instructors are advised of this action by the Office of Academic Affairs.